Friday, August 21, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 221-230

Looks like one of those old-timey cigarette cards. 

Tommy James and the Shondells, Hanky Panky
Do not like him. Next.

Jan & Dean, Surf City
Meh, at first listen, or even 56th listen, it could have easily been the Beach Boys. I think Brian Wilson wrote it too. I grew up hearing this in 10 second snippets in as-seen-on-TV nostalgia compilation box sets, you choice of cassette, vinyl, or compact disc, $39.99.

Jane's Addiction, Been Caught Stealing
YES! More good music needs to have a sense of humor. It is a sonic explosion that goes too fast yet is over too soon. Bitter we missed them on the first Lollapalooza tour.

Jefferson Airplane, Somebody to Love, White Rabbit
I dislike JA, I like very few Jefferson Starship songs, and I have no use for Starship. Pass.

Blind Lemon Jefferson, Matchbox Blues
OMG, remember when I researched the bar in Cincinnati named for a blues guitarist? This is him! 1927. I repeat, 1927.

Jethro Tull, Aqualung
Hard rock flute. You don't often type that out loud. Will has been practicing on his recorder again, in preparation for band. I can’t help but think of this song.

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts I Love Rock n' Roll
I've seen her three times, and she deserves her spot in the Hall of Fame. This is the song that broke her, but honestly, there's better out there: Do Ya Wanna Touch, I Hate Myself for Loving You.

I remember a teen beauty magazine in the late 80s did a feature on how they would give female musicians a makeover. Joan's was particularly hilarious. They wanted to slick Jett's black hair into a smart ponytail, with a pert bow, hot pink lipstick, and a softer look than her black leather. What a bad idea - might as well give Stevie Nicks a pert bob and easy care double knits.

Billy Joel, Just the Way You Are
Billy is just a tad too soft for me, and don't get me started on the shit he produced in the 80s. He has a few good ones though, and wonder why there's no Piano Man or It's My Life here.

Elton John, Bennie and the Jets
A recent Top 10 Revealed on AXS TV named this the best song of 1974. I was old enough to actually remember 1974 and I concur! Then a talking head said the damndest thing - that Bennie was a girl. Huh, electric boots, a mohair suit, ok then.

No comments:

Best Meal I Ever Ate, Appetizers

Jim and I: seventeen-year-old gastro thrill seekers. I'm intentionally out of order with May posts to celebrate May 8 as my promaversary...