Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll, 191-200...and post 400!

John Lee Hooker

Screamin' Jay Hawkins, I Put a Spell on You
This song devolves into maniac screaming, and while may be considered in the novelty genre, it's cool as hell.

Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Blank Generation
Just your classic punk song, following the classic recipe for garage/rockabilly.

Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child
Another one of those moments when I can't understand the impact as I wasn't alive to experience it firsthand. I understand why three songs are listed here, but prefer, personally, the psychedelic If 6 was 9.

The Hollies, Bus Stop
Another song that sounds terribly dated to me. When I complete this list and revisit the updates, I'll be curious to see if this song remains on the list.

Buddy Holly, Peggy Sue, That'll Be the Day
My dad told me of one of the few times he got in trouble at St. Mary's High School. When Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens died in the most historic plane crash, my dad and his friends decided to break dress code and wear black instead of blue in solidarity of mourning the death of their rock icons. According to him, the punishment was worth it.

John Lee Hooker, Boogie Chillun, Boom Boom
A return of the influence of the movie The Blues Brothers. Dan Ackroyd knew what he was doing.

Edited to add:

I just realized this is post #400 of this blog! If I have any followers *crickets* thank you for reading. This has been cathartic during the COVID nonsense, and just a fun little exercise. I just found out two of my usual races are now virtual, so I will be doing them in the comfort of my basement and probably listening to this list because I have signed up for a half marathon. All the sticker earning potential with none of the getting passed by everyone shame.

No comments:

Rethinking Orange

I have a thing for citrus Orange is... Taste:  candied grapefruit peel that is bright, citrusy, bitter, and sweet Touch: warm sunshine with ...